Ovo Solo 3.0 is a lightweight software application for recording UX research. Based on Ovo Studios' industry-proven video and database technologies, Ovo Solo 3.0 lets you record user-product interactions in one of four ways:
Using Ovo Solo 3.0
While recording user-product interactions, you can identify video of interest by typing free-form notes or by clicking pre-defined categorical descriptors. Using these points of interest, video highlights are extracted for use in presentations or reports. Ovo Solo makes this workflow efficient and flexible in the following ways:
- Ovo Solo accommodates any moderator strategy: you can identify video of interest in real time or post-test -- anything you can do during test-time you can do post-test. As a result, you do not have to touch Ovo Solo during the test if you feel that doing so would intrude on your moderator duties.
- Ovo Solo supports multiple logging methods: you can log in real-time from an iPhone App (shown at right), from the Ovo Solo PC (when recording USB cameras), or from a remote PC. Post-study logging from recorded video is also supported.
- Ovo Solo streams live video: you can view what Ovo Solo is recording on the remote PC that is used for logging.
- Ovo Solo supports one-pass highlight extraction: you can mark highlight start/stop points during test-time so video highlights are ready to be processed as soon as your last user is done.
- Ovo Solo video does not require lengthy post-processing before you can view it: all video is Windows Media format, so no lengthy post-processing is required to view either source video or highlight video.
Ovo Solo is built using Microsoft .NET technologies and Microsoft Expressions Encoder. To use Ovo Solo, you will need a computer that meets the following minimum specifications. Of course, it is always a good idea to exceed minimum specifications because of other applications and processes that might be running or be scheduled to run.
- Windows 7 operating system
- 1 GB RAM
- Dual-core Intel processor
- Dedicated video card with at least 256MB of onboard VRAM
- 7200 RPM hard drive or faster
After much UX research, your hard drive might fill up with video files if you don't take action to manage your data. Use the following estimated video file sizes for planning purposes:
- Single webcam: about 250MB/hour
- Two webcams: about 370MB/hour
- User PC screen only: about 1 gb/hour
- User PC screen with webcam picture-in-picture: about 1 gb/hour
What Can't Ovo Solo Do?
Ovo Solo is not an enterprise-level logging, analysis, and reporting solution, nor is it an A/V command center for your fixed or portable usability lab. If you are interested in robust features and functionality like these, please consider Ovo Logger.
You may request a trial version that will allow you to try out all the features of Ovo Solo 3.0. You may only use it to evaluate Ovo Solo 3.0 features and functionality. In keeping with the intended use of the trial version, all video has a very prominent textual overlay.
- $99 (buy now through Paypal) allows you to license and run Ovo Solo's recording engine on one PC.
- This license can be moved to another PC, which will render the first PC incapable of recording.
- The license is good for one year and is non-transferable.
- The license fee is for this version of Ovo Solo only. New versions require a new license.
- We offer a 20% discount off of concurrent purchases of 5 or more licenses.
- We offer a 10% discount for current UXPA members.
A free version of Ovo Solo 3.0 installed on a second PC is used to take notes during test-time. This second PC needs to be connected via LAN to the PC where the licensed version of Ovo Solo 3.0 is installed.
Ovo Solo 3.0 is so straight-forward that our documentation is only a few pages long. In the event that you require support, it is available for $49/incident.